Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have so numerous clinical developments and brand-new methods emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by expensive ads about a particular laser. Pick the medical professional, not this the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not know can injure you.
4. Request for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Discover another one if your physician won't tell you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly different result. The finest cosmetic surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each client. Be careful of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for many individuals, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision of millions of people all over the world.